Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Harvest

Of everything I wrote last week, Prof. Wesch has asked us to take out the 3 "core" paragraphs that will make up part of our collaborative paper.

That part is in the works, but I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate an insight I had during our class discussion last week. My main argument so far has been that anonymity opens up creativity that allows us to connect deeply with ourselves and others. But I've been overlooking the effects of *feeling* anonymous. Deep connections with strangers happen because we feel like strangers. C.S. Lewis wrote, "True friendship is born in that moment when one person says to another, "Really? You too? I thought I was the only one."

We spend more time around people we don't (and will never) know than people who have known us since birth. Of the people you are closest to now, it is likely that you have known most of them for less than five years. It is also likely that you have not yet met the people to whom you will be closest five years from now.
Neolocality. In our current state, it is something we all have in common. So we use it to connect.

This is really changing up my basic argument. And now I need to start thinking visually! Oh my.

-Katie